Monday, May 17, 2010

Sculptural Simplicity




Images from http://www.sandrabacklund.com/previous-collection.php?page=28


In my design work I am trying to achieve a strong and sculptural silhouette. My designs are often very simplistic because I try and use detail and textiles to create interest. I am often drawn to sculptural pieces hence my excitement to design with the hyperbolic shape in mind. Sandra Backlund is a Swedish designer who has redefined knitwear. Her beautifully sculptural designs have been created by hand knitting. What I really love about the designs is their simplicity at their core silhouette. Another point that I really love about Backlund’s work how she build her pieces from a few basic blocks, which is definitely something to keep in mind when designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment